Picking Up the Pieces: Men’s lax still winless after home loss to Mount St. Mary’s

March 1, 2016

Sports Information

The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team (0-3, Big East) still remains winless to start their 2016 season, as the Hoyas fell to Mount St. Mary’s (2-2, NEC) 11-8 in their home opener at Cooper Field Tuesday afternoon.

Sports Information

Eight different Hoyas scored each of the team’s eight goals and sophomore goalie Nick Marrocco had 11 saves, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the Mountaineers, who snapped their two-game losing streak and had five goals from graduate attack Mark Hojnoski and three goals from freshman midfielder Chris DiPretoro.

“Outplayed, out-hustled,” said frustrated Georgetown Head Coach Kevin Warne after the game. “They played harder than us.”

Mount St. Mary’s scored the game’s final four goals over the last 4:59 to overcome an 8-7 Georgetown lead at the 6:25 mark of the fourth quarter. Hojnoski’s goal off an assist from junior attack Bubba Johnson with 2:19 left proved to be the game winner.

“Those guys are scrappers. We knew they weren’t going to fold,” said Warne. “They played hard. We didn’t pick up some timely ground balls.”

In the second half, the Mountaineers took the lead on three separate occasions early in the third and fourth quarter only for the Hoyas to have an answer each time. Georgetown freshman attack Daniel Bucaro’s team-leading sixth goal tied the game at 5 after a goal from Mount St. Mary’s senior midfielder Justin Gosnell made it 5-4, sophomore attack Matt Behrens tied it at 6 on an extra-man opportunity after Hojnoski’s third score, and sophomore attack Stephen Quinzi tied it at 7 after DiPretoro’s second goal.

Junior midfielder Nick Carpenter’s first goal of the season with 6:25 left gave the Hoyas their final lead of the game, 8-7, before the Mountaineers closed the game on a 4-0 run.

“We took this team lightly from the beginning and you can’t do that, especially as a team that’s 0-2,” said Georgetown junior midfielder Peter Conley.

The Mountaineers opened the game with two first quarter goals before the Hoyas scored four of the next five goals over a span of 7:25 during the middle of the second quarter. Georgetown looked like they would close out the first half with a 4-3 lead, but Hojnoski’s goal from right in front of the net with one second left tied it up at 4.

The Hoyas outshot the Mountaineers 33-31 but were unable to get much by Mountaineer senior goalie Frankie McCarthy, who made 13 saves. Mount St. Mary’s also won the ground ball battle 27-23.

“I feel like we couldn’t do anything today offensively,” said Warne.

The Hoyas return to action this Saturday when they they go on the road to face No. 9 Hofstra (2-0, CAA) for a noon faceoff. Conley expects him and his teammates to be more than ready after Tuesday’s lackluster effort.

“We have a big test on Saturday. We know we’re capable of beating Hofstra,” said Conley. “You better believe that we’ll come to play against them.”

Read More

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments